Upto 139,000 aged care workers are planning to leave the sector

Home Care Staffing Solution

Written By Carerz

November 13, 2022

According to the Complispace aged care workforce report, two third of Australia’s current aged care workers plan to leave by 2026. As a result of COVID-19 pandemic, many fear that the proposed reforms set out by the aged care royal commission will not be realistically implemented due to lack of qualified aged care staff

Due to the rising costs of living and low unemployment, many fear that the situation will only worsen, with low pay driving out existing workers and making it unattractive for new workers.

Impossible Task: Workers’ Views on the Rising Demands of Aged Care is the third of CompliSpace’s annual aged care workforce reports. Key findings from the report

Mass Exodus: 50% of Staff Plan to Leave Within Next Three Years

  • 50% of workers (139,000 people) intend to leave the residential aged care industry within the next three years. This includes 23% (64,000 people) who plan to leave within the next 12 months.
  • 67% of workers (186,000 people) intend to leave within the next five years.
  • The exodus has worsened since last year, with 10% more workers joining the cohort who plan to leave the industry within the next three years, bringing the total up from 40% in 2021 to 50% in 2022.
  • Reasons for staying or going remain roughly the same as last year, with stress and pay still the main reasons that workers leave the industry and “relationships with residents and their families” still the main reason that they stay.

Contact Carerz today, to discuss how we can help you with your staffing needs

You may also like….